Medi-Cal Can Help You Quit Smoking
If you have Medi-Cal insurance, you may obtain products to help you quit smoking or other tobacco use. It’s as easy as 1-2-3!
1. Talk to your doctor. Ask if a quitting aid is right for you. If so, get a prescription. Three different quitting aids are on Medi-Cal’s Contract Drug List:
• NicoDerm CQ® patches are worn on the skin like a Band-Aid®. They release a steady stream of nicotine into your body through your skin. They make quitting easier by letting you wean yourself off nicotine slowly. Prescriptions are available for 14 weeks. Read more about nicotine patches.
• Zyban® is a form of the anti-depressant Wellbutrin®. It is a pill that does not contain nicotine. It helps with changes in brain chemistry that may occur when you quit smoking. It is recommended that you start taking it 1-2 weeks before you quit. Prescriptions are available for 12 weeks. Read more about Zyban®.
• Chantix® is another quitting aid that does not contain nicotine. It is a pill that reduces cravings for nicotine by blocking the pleasure of smoking. It is recommended that you start taking it a week before you quit. Prescriptions are available for 12 weeks. Read more about Chantix®.
2. Go to the pharmacy. If you have prescription for one of the quitting aids above, your pharmacist can fill it right away. You do not need Medi-Cal pre-approval. You can receive two quitting aid prescriptions per year, with no waiting in between.
3. Get support. Research has shown that people who use a quitting aid AND counseling are more likely to succeed. The California Smokers’ Helpline has trained, caring professionals who will work with you to create a plan and stick to it. And it’s FREE! Call 1-800-NO-BUTTS or click here to sign up online. Click here to read about a $20 gift card offer for participating in Helpline counseling.
It may take several tries to quit for good. Whatever you do, don’t give up. You CAN quit!